Monday, October 8, 2018

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Dorothy lived with her small dog Toto on the bleak Kansas prairie. One day a dangerous cyclone swept across the prairie and picked up the house with Dorothy and Toto still inside. As the hours passed, Dorothy eventually fell asleep and when she woke up, she and Toto were in a fantastical and strange land. To find her way back, she started her journey to the Emerald City. Now, read on…

Dorothy: Come along, Toto. We will go to the Emerald City and ask the Great Oz how to get back to Kansas again.

When she had gone several miles, she came across a great cornfield beyond the fence, and not far away she saw a Scarecrow, placed high on a pole to keep the birds from the ripe corn. While Dorothy was looking earnestly into the queer, painted face of the Scarecrow, she was surprised to see one of the eyes slowly wink at her.

Scarecrow: Good day.

Dorothy:
Did you speak?

Scarecrow: Certainly. How do you do?

Dorothy: I'm pretty well. Thank you. How do you do?

Scarecrow: I'm not feeling well for it is very tedious being perched up here night and day to scare away crows.

Dorothy: Can't you get down?

Scarecrow: No, for this pole is stuck up my back. If you will please take away the pole I shall be greatly obliged to you.

Dorothy reached up both arms and lifted the figure off the pole, for, being stuffed with straw, it was quite light.

Scarecrow: Thank you very much. I feel like a new man. Now, tell me…who are you? And where are you going?"

Dorothy: My name is Dorothy and I am going to the Emerald City to ask the Great Oz to send me back to Kansas.

Scarecrow: Where is the Emerald City? And who is Oz?

Dorothy: Why, don't you know?

Scarecrow: No, indeed. I don't know anything. You see, I am stuffed, so I have no brains at all.

Dorothy: Oh! I'm awfully sorry for you.

Scarecrow: Do you think if I go to the Emerald City with you, that Oz would give me some brains?

Dorothy: I cannot tell but you may come with me, if you like. If Oz will not give you any brains you will be no worse off than you are now.

Scarecrow: That is true. You see, I don't mind my legs and arms and body being stuffed, because I cannot get hurt. If anyone treads on my toes or sticks a pin into me, it doesn't matter, for I can't feel it. But I do not want people to call me a fool…

Dorothy: I understand how you feel. If you will come with me I'll ask Oz to do all he can for you.

Scarecrow: Thank you.

…and they started along the path of yellow brick for the Emerald City. After an hour or so the light faded away, and they found themselves stumbling along in the darkness.

Dorothy: If you see any house, or any place where we can pass the night, you must tell me; for it is very uncomfortable walking in the dark.

Scarecrow: I see a little cottage at the right of us. Shall we go there?

Dorothy: Yes, indeed. I am all tired out.

So the Scarecrow led her through the trees until they reached the cottage, and Dorothy soon fell into a sound sleep. When she woke up, Toto had long been out chasing birds around him and squirrels. When she had finished her meal, and was about to go back to the road of yellow brick, she was startled to hear a deep groan near by.

Dorothy: What was that?

Scarecrow: I cannot imagine, but we can go and see.

One of the big trees had been partly chopped through, and standing beside it, with an uplifted axe in his hands, was a man made entirely of tin. His head and arms and legs were jointed upon his body, but he stood perfectly motionless, as if he could not stir at all. Dorothy looked at him in amazement, and so did the Scarecrow, while Toto barked sharply and made a snap at the tin legs, which hurt his teeth.

Dorothy: Did you groan?

Tin Man: Yes. I did. I've been groaning for more than a year, and no one has ever heard me before or come to help me.

Dorothy: What can I do for you?" she inquired softly, for she was moved by the sad voice in which the man spoke.

Tin Man: Get an oil-can and oil my joints. They are rusted so badly that I cannot move them at all; if I am well-oiled, I shall soon be all right again. You will find an oil-can on a shelf in my cottage.

Dorothy: Where are your joints?

Tin Man: Oil my neck, first. Then, oil the joints in my arms.

And Dorothy oiled them and the Scarecrow bent them carefully until they were quite free from rust and as good as new.

Tin Man: This is a great comfort. I have been holding that axe in the air ever since I rusted, and I'm glad to be able to put it down at last. Now, if you will oil the joints of my legs, I shall be all right once more.

So they oiled his legs until he could move them freely.

Tin Man: I might have stood there always if you had not come along…How did you happen to be here?

Dorothy: We are on our way to the Emerald City to see the Great Oz.

Tin Man: Why do you wish to see Oz?

Dorothy: I want him to send me back to Kansas, and the Scarecrow wants him to put a few brains into his head.

The Tin Woodman appeared to think deeply for a moment.

Tin Man: Do you suppose Oz could give me a heart?

Dorothy: Why, I guess so. It would be as easy as to give the Scarecrow brains!

Tin Man: True. So, if you will allow me to join your party, I will also go to the Emerald City and ask Oz to help me.

Scarecrow: Come along.

They all passed through the forest until they came to the road that was paved with yellow brick. There were few birds in this part of the forest, for birds love the open country where there is plenty of sunshine. But now and then there came a deep growl from some wild animal hidden among the trees. These sounds made the little girl's heart beat fast. Suddenly, a great Lion bounded into the road. Fearing Toto would be killed, she rushed forward and slapped the Lion upon his nose.

Dorothy: Don't you dare to bite Toto! You ought to be ashamed of yourself, a big beast like you, to bite a poor little dog.

The Lion: I didn't bite him.

Dorothy: No, but you tried to. You are nothing but a big coward.

The Lion: I know it. I've always known it. But how can I help it?

Dorothy: What makes you a coward?

The Lion: It's a mystery. I suppose I was born that way. All the other animals in the forest naturally expect me to be brave, for the Lion is everywhere thought to be the King of Beasts. I learned that if I roared very loudly every living thing was frightened and got out of my way. Whenever I've met a man I've been awfully scared; but I just roared at him, and he has always run away as fast as he could go.

Scarecrow: But that isn't right. The King of Beasts shouldn't be a coward.

The Lion: I know it. But whenever there is danger, my heart begins to beat fast. Do you think Oz could give me courage?

Scarecrow: Just as easily as he could give me brains!

Tin Woodman: Or give me a heart.

Dorothy: Or send me back to Kansas.

The Lion: Then, if you don't mind, I'll go with you…for my life is simply unbearable without a bit of courage.

Dorothy: You will be very welcome for you will help to keep away the other wild beasts. It seems to me they must be more cowardly than you are if they allow you to scare them so easily.

The Lion: They really are but that doesn't make me any braver, and as long as I know myself to be a coward, I shall be unhappy.

So once more the little company set off upon the journey, the Lion walking with stately strides at Dorothy's side. Toto did not approve of this new comrade at first, for he could not forget how nearly he had been crushed between the Lion's great jaws. But after a time he became more at ease, and presently Toto and the Cowardly Lion had grown to be good friends.

                                                                                                                      Adapted by Akash Shukla